Monday, September 21, 2009

Software Freedom Week Celebrations..!

Hi people,
As a part of the GLOSS team, we are celebrating the software freedom day(Its a week for all of us). The software freedom day is being celebrated through out the world on 20th September. But in SASTRA, we have classes till 4.50, and the only time you can go around and do such stuff is after 5. So as a part of we preaching open source, we had decided to make it a software freedom week..! All the celebrations take place at Tifac Seminar Hall-2 for the 5 days between 21.09.09 and 25.09.09. The schedule is as follows:

Day 1:Introduction to FOSS/Open Source
Day 2:Linux Install Fest
Day 3:Netbeans 6.7
Day 4:Glassfish & My SQL
Day 5:Insight on open source projects.

This is the schedule for the week and right now, I am blogging after the first session came to a successful close. Yeah, though it was a rainy day around 60 people turned up and the GLOSS team was satisfied with the crowd. Dwarakanath our campus ambassador conducted the session in his own way of evangalising things and he was cool as usual and this time his slides were so cool with babies(Inspired by me I believe :)) He gave an orientation about the celebrations and the way things happen in the corporate world.

As for as I am concerned, he is the only person bridging the university students with the real industry and he proved it again on the first day of the software freedom week celebrations. The way he made the examples, one in layman's term and the other being the real situation in the industry was really appealing. He also insisted on the availability of a digital identity for each and every individual.

Then was a small meeting of the organisers. We got ourselves prepared for the Linux intallation fest to be held on tuesday. We got the CD's and also learnt how to install Linux stuff like fedora and ubuntu. I have installed Ubuntu in my laptop now and I am comfortable with it(Currently blogging from Ubuntu). So I was really happy with the way things happened and I am having a great week ahead, an open week full of freedom, with no Gates and Windows to stop my freedom..!

No comments: