Monday, September 21, 2009

Irritations at INNUENDO-09

Hello people,
Blogging after a quit long time..! Right now I am free after all my midsems, performed all the exams to my satisfaction, except for digital systems paper. So life is going on in my way, putting all my attention towards my dream project and I am really happy with the way things are going on, except for the experience at Innuendo-09, held at Periyar Maniammai University, Vallam, Thanjavur on 09.09.09 and 10.09.09. I ll just explain my pathetic situation over there...

It was a fine morning, myself and ma team mate Sindu went to the college at 8 sharp. but things were not as we expected. It was getting late and nothing was done..! But it happens in places and of course they too followed the "Indian Standard Time", Finally after a very long long inaugural session, the contests were about to start.

There was an event called software demo. I had just registered for that online, but since I had no time, I could not send the project report and all, that is they had told that we have to send some materials like SRS and all and then they would select the projects and only the selected softwares would be allowed to be demoed. But the day before the symposium I got an SMS telling that I have been selected in software demo. I was just amazed and decided to participate with my small web application done in PHP, but there was a huge crowd to participate in that and I am still thinking of what would have happened to make me get selected..! May be INNUENDO would have got some funds with the registration fee, 150 Rs. And then onto the events. The paper presentation was held in two different venues, with a lot of sessions in each venue and the judges were different(Obviously, one judge cannot be present at both the places, right..!) But totally three prizes were given and I don't know how these people synchronized the results, which is not the way to conduct a proper symposium, and they announced that the software demo would be held only the next day. But their own web page and contacts told that the event would be on 09.09.09 itself. I had registered by paying 150 Rs, and I approached those people saying that I had my lab exam tomorrow and cannot come the next day. I asked them to cancel the registration and refund the amount. They were thinking and then they conducted the event that day and the next day also... Is this the way a standard university conducts a national level technical symposium????

Regarding the other arrangements, lunch was arranged. That was another horrible story. People from other colleges were also made to stand in the same que with all their college people and there was a big push and pull there. Just ashamed to stand in such a places, as if it was a free food distribution camp. They could have made some special or atleast a separate que for the participants..! And all the other things like hospitality and over all organisation were proper, and one more drawback was, they dint have MS-office 2007, and couldn't open .PPTX files for the presentations. Luckily I had my laptop and I converted and they dint mention an thing about that in the site. All symposiums if they don't have 2007 office, they clearly mention that the paper should be in 2003 office format, these people should have done that atleast..! And the home page of the site could have been better without those grammatically abrupt sentences and broken links..!
And, to make a final note, my aim is to not just criticize these people, because I don't have any grudge on them..! As a student I know the difficulties in conducting a national level symposium. But things could have been better, thats what I want to say so that INNUENDO-10 will not be a big flop like this..! Any how congratulations to the Dept. of Software Engg, Periyar Maniammai University for conducting such programmes and next time I am expecting some thing really big from them..!


No comments: